This post contains affiliate links which means that if you click and make a purchase I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you. All opinions are my own.
It’s time for summer!!! These months are marked by hot temps, cool treats, and no school for the kiddos. We must plan ahead if we want everyone to have a fun and memorable summer. I like to have the kids help me to write some of these activities down on slips of paper and place them in our activity jar. To keep things fresh, on days when we’re not sure what we want to do, we’ll take pull some ideas out of the jar and have a family vote to determine the winner for the day.
[This post on Fun Summer Activities for Kids was originally published in July 2020 and updated in May 2022.]
The following list of fun summer activities is divided into two categories: indoor and outdoor. We must be prepared in case it rains, or the temperatures get too high.
Fun Summer Activities to do indoors
- Build a fort
- Make a home movie using your phone
- Have a dance party
- Dress up as your favorite superhero and have a superhero party.
- Make homemade slime
- Have a movie marathon
- Camp indoors. My kiddos like to set up their tents in our living room.
- Bake and decorate cookies
- Cook a meal as a family
- Make up a song
- Update your family travel bucket list
- Write and illustrate your own book
- Visit a Smithsonian Museum (virtually)
- Travel to all 7 continents via kid movies
- Have breakfast for dinner
- Take a virtual tour of a national park
- Go on an African safari (virtually)
- Have fun creating crafts. We love to make personalized gifts and homemade slime.
- Make a stop-motion video with toys
- Have a spa day
- Finger paint
- Plan your next family vacation together
- Take selfies in a homemade photo booth
- Paint a picture
- Finish a puzzle
- Learn something new on a virtual field trip
- Conduct a science experiment
- Sit outdoors and enjoy an ice cream or ice pop on a hot day
Fun Summer Activities to enjoy outdoors
- Run through the sprinklers
- Have a water balloon fight
- Catch and release fireflies.
- Enjoy BBQ with family
- Enjoy a family bike ride through the neighborhood or on a nearby trail.
- Walk around your neighborhood
- Visit a National Park. We recently visited Zion National Park and the kids can’t stop talking about the fun we all had.
- Visit a museum
- Plan a photo shoot somewhere fun. My kiddos and I had a blast when we recently had a photo shoot at a local laundromat.
- Set up a backyard obstacle course
- Take a tour of local attractions.
- Visit a beach, collect seashells, and build a sand castle.
- Splash around in a pool
- Play and dance in the rain
- Enjoy a movie in the backyard. We use a portable video projector for our outdoor movie experiences.
- Camp outdoors
- Go for a nature walk
- Make chalk drawings on the sidewalk
- Fly a kite
- Enjoy a local park
- Make a mud pie
- Have a hula-hoop contest
- Plant flowers
- Eat cotton candy. We have this cotton candy machine that the kids love.
- Have a family field day. We love to stage one-legged races, water balloon tosses, tug of war, Play corn hole
- Play hide-and-seek
- Go on a birdwatching expedition in your backyard or at a local park.
- Fire up the grill and enjoy a cookout
- Blow bubbles
This list should be a great start to planning fun summer activities for kids that will help you to keep your little people busy while creating memories as a family. If you found this list of Fun Summer Activities to do with kids helpful, you might also like: